I have been teaching for two years now and I have absolutely loved it, however, there are some things I would tell myself before I started my PGCE.
- Constantly try new things! They may work. They may not. When they do, what a feeling!
- Don’t work all day, everyday.
- Be confident
- Don’t quit your hobbies
- Don’t have a packet of biscuits at your desk
- Photocopiers will become your friend. Just treat them with care and you will soon understand them.
- You’ll always find yourself writing lists.
- Mark English
- Mark Maths
- Mark Science
- Write a list
- If anybody comes into your class and says ‘Don’t worry we’re not looking at you’. They are definitely looking at you. – This isn’t a bad thing, just embrace it and show off what you and the children can do!
- Children may overtake you with their knowledge of technology!
There are many other things I would say to myself two years ago but I would never say, are you sure about teaching?
If you have started a PGCE or in your NQT year, keep going! Remember why you chose to be in the profession!